Thursday, April 18, 2013

We carry on...


Life has been anything but simple lately,
I can't begin to describe everything going on.
There are times I feel like I am getting through it,
and times I struggle more than I will ever show.
Crazy schedules, more to-do's than time in a day, motivation levels on a roller coaster, 
sometimes we have to step back and make a plan.

I sat down with my therapist this morning, 
realizing it had been far too long since I had done this.
Okay, maybe not that long (a few weeks).
But the last few weeks have proved to be eventful,
and life altering.
My words were coming out a million miles a minute, 
she had to tell me to slow down and breathe.
We brushed over everything that has been going on, 
and slowly tackled each one...HEAD ON.
The biggest thing that came out of this mornings session:
I must more forward, and carry on.
Despite everything going on, we can't forget about ourselves.

The next few weeks I am going to be focusing on some issues, 
and really trying to get where I want to be.
Time to pick up the pieces of everything 
and put them back together.

The biggest thing I need to do is get more organized.
I have so much going on right now that it's hard to keep track of...well...anything.
Good thing is that will be much easier in next few weeks.
Why's that?
Because at this point we have 5 (yes, 5) people living in our house, 
with....1 bathroom (no, I didn't stutter).
What's a bigger issue than that,
I don't have a room for my things.
Currently I'm living out of a dresser, and half a closet.
My belongings are in the garage.
I NEVER know where anything is, 
and I don't have a space to call my own.
In a few weeks, 5 goes down to 4 people!(4 to 3 in June!)
Biggest thing that happens, I GET A ROOM!
It will be an office/guestroom/Laura-cave.
I can't begin to describe how much this will help me.
A place for me to be organized, 
place to study, 
place to relax and be alone if need be,
a place for Hollie to stay when she visits
 (since she has to be moving so damn far away).
Simply put, I can't wait to make this house, feel like home.

[For the record, when I moved in with my fiance, 
I knew this was going to be the case.
I knew it would be hard, 
and I knew it would be rude to count the days (out loud) 
until I had a room for my things. 
Either way, life gets easier soon.]

Now I should probably talk about some fitness things,
because it's no secret I haven't been on track lately.
Marathon #5 is a month from tomorrow.
I should probably take it more seriously, hmm...better go for a run later.
My first multi-sport event (duathlon) is in a week and a half 
[hmm...how do those transitions work?]
My only best ab workout lately was last weekend with the stomach bug.
My first triathlon is in 2 months, and well...I better take the floaties off.
 (I think they frown upon those, let me know if I am wrong)

Okay so that makes it sound worse than it really is,
 but honestly I know I am not where I should be. 
The thing I can tell you though, is I won't stop until I get there. 

One thing I REALLY need to learn.
How to ask for help.
If you have figured out a way to do this, 
please let me know.

So bring on the organizing.
Bring on the studying.
Bring on the workouts.
Bring on the hard talks.
Bring on the little sleep and lots of work.
Bring on the emotions from whats going on in the world.
That emotion...yeah...it means were alive.

We all have things going on, 
my lack of organization and crazy busy life
yeah they're nothing compared to some.
My reaction to Monday's horrible events, 
overwhelmed and emotional to say the least....
and I wasn't even there.
I can't change what happened, 
and I can't do much to help those who experienced it.
What I can do is be grateful for all that I have,
and use my ability to run and ride and be active
 in honor of those affected by Boston.
Each run...is for me...and for Boston.
Each ride...is for me...and for Boston.
I will stand by my running family, 
even though I have so much going on in life,
I will NEVER be too busy to help my family/community.



How do you stay organized?
With the busy lives we all carry, how do you stay sane?

What are you doing to cope with everything going on?
How are you paying tribute to those affected?
Share your pictures, tribute runs, etc. (I'd love to see & Share!)




4 comments:

  1. Laura, good luck with your tri training. Having done one without a wetsuit and one with, I definitely recommend going the wetsuit route. It makes the swim much easier and makes you more buoyant. As for coping--I run. Running helps me clear my thoughts and find my center. I'm running 2 events to help raise money for Boston victims and show solidarity: http://www.runkarlarun.com/2013/04/18/run-for-boston-what-are-you-doing/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. running is a great coping mechanism, especially in light of recent events.

      Delete
  2. I know how stressful everything must be over there. Seriously, I would love to move in with you...I'd live in your office cave..no big deal.

    Like we were chatting about the marathon, I really think you are going to do well going about it your way. (then a suberb Boston next year). I can't offer much sage advice about the du but I do know you are going to rock it on your new bike.

    I need to learn how to be more organized too. I'm actually in the process of looking for a new iphone app for organization personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously, if you find an app...let me know. I need all the help I can get.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...